Old Gyumri Tour

Visit Kumayri museum, historic houses, workshops, taverns, guesthouses and museums that make up Old Gyumri (formerly known as Alexandropl).

1/2334/giumri_plan_17.jpg

Ajemian Street

Proceed west up Terian Street towards Ajemian Street: 

70. Right corner: Dwelling, 1880s-1890s.  This two-story construction uses both black and red tufa and is an example of the kind of home the “middle class” in Alexandrapol society once built.

The use of red and black tufa is considered by many a hallmark of Giumri architecture, and various reasons have been given for its use.  Other than the handsome appearance it gives buildings, one suggestion is that Giumri's climate is not very kind to painted decoration, and the use of the stone may have been done to achieve the same effect in a more permanent form.  This may or may not be so, but for this house craftsmen used  the two-colored stones for the pillars and the framing of windows, doors, gates, arches and columns.

71. Right: Isahakian Dwelling, 1880s. The next house belonged to Karapet Isahakian Lazarevich, who sold salt, a profession considered an honorable job of that time.

The house was built with black polished tufa. The window frames are decorated with impressive molding.

Continue up Terian Street towards Ajemian Street: 

By now you are entering a district called “Slabodka Mailah”, where merchants and gardeners lived. Slabodka Mailah was one of the wealthiest districts of Giumri and was distinguished by its luxurious and beautiful houses and its wealthy inhabitants.

72. Left: Dwelling, late 19th century. This building was built using black polished tufa. The two demi-relief rosettes on either side of the main entrance decorate the façade. The seams between stone blocks on houses with polished walls were pointed with white contours, which was typical only to “modern” (for the 19th century) houses in Giumri, when builders began to refine their facades with polished stone and decorative details.

73. Left: Gargaloyan House, 1896.  This building belonged to Vardan Gargaloyan. His father was Gar Galo, from whom the family dynasty got its surname. The Gargaloyan family had a deep love of learning and family representatives were known to be intelligent and well-educated people. They were known for their gardening.

This black polished tufa house is very beautiful. The top of the façade is decorated with Venetian dentils, and the window frames with carved cymas (wave molding).

74. Left: Gargaloyan House, 19th-20th centuries. The building is at the corner of Terian and Ajemian Streets (most of the building is on Ajemian Street). It also belonged to the Gargaloyan family, who settled in Alexandrapol in 1808, emigrating from Western Armenia. The house is made of black polished tufa. The window frames are decorated with festoons (garland designs).

Continue up Terian Street to Plplan Zham Church: 

The text for this walking tour was edited by the Kumaiyri Preserve-Museum.


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts