Arates monastery

This monastery, built on top of a hill, overlooks the Arates tributary of the Yeghegis River. The group of half-ruined monuments consists of St. Sion, St. Astvatsatsin churches and two gavits. Allegedly, it goes back to the 7th century, though the oldest inscription dates to the 9th century.

1/1245/p1040281.jpg

Arates Monastery

This monastery, built on top of a hill, overlooks the Arates tributary of the Yeghegis River. The group of half-ruined monuments consists of St. Sion, St. Astvatsatsin churches and two gavits. Allegedly, it goes back to the 7th century, though the oldest inscription dates to the 9th century.

St. Sion Church was built in the 10th century. It is a single nave domed building with three chapels on both sides of the altar, adjacent to the north wall. On the southern side is St. Astvatsatsin. Built in the 11th-13th centuries, the church features a domed hall with two pylons.

The first gavit that adjoins the Western facade of St. Astvatsatsin Church is the finest building of the complex, built by the architect Siranes in 1270. Monk Hayrapet, Grigorik and Stepanos are noted among those that sponsored and led the construction of the church.

One of the intersecting vaults of the gavit was reconstructed in 1959-1961. However, it is destroyed now.

The second gavit, located between St. Sion and St. Astvatsatsin, was built in the 13th century. It has a square plan with two chapels on the West.

The wall surrounding the monastery was destroyed in the 17th century. The churchyard has khachkars and tombstones dating back to the 10th-17th centuries.


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

  •  

    Working period/season Year around

  •  

    Working days Monday-Sunday

  •  

    How to reach From Yerevan take M-2 highway to Yeghegnadzor. On the way to Yehegnadzor turn to the M-10 highway to Martuni. After 9 km of driving turn to the right, and after 2 km turn to the right again. Take the road to Yeghegis; Arates monastery is 18 km far from Yeghegis.

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts