Areni village

Various archaeolo­gical monuments, caverns, castles, medie­val settlements, tombstones and chapels surround the village.

1/1282/p1110247.jpg

Areni village

Areni village is a settlement in Vayots Dzor Marz, a part of Historic Armenia's Syunik province. As a significant road junction, it was of great strategic value, blocking the canyon linking Sharur valley to Vayots Dzor.

The village was mentioned by the 5th century historian Yeghishe. Areni was built on a hill overlooking the left bank of the Arpa River, where a village cemetery is now located.

Lord Tarsayitch Orbelian commissioned a castle here in the 13th century, connecting Areni to the Seat of the Princes of Syunik. St. Astvatsatsin church was built in 1321 and is located at the south end of the old village ruins (architect Momik).

Various archaeolo­gical monuments, caverns, castles, medie­val settlements, tombstones and chapels surround the village.  


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

  •  

    Working period/season Year around

  •  

    How to reach Take the M2 Yerevan highway, drive south for 110km, it will take around 2 hours.

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts