Old Gyumri Tour

Visit Kumayri museum, historic houses, workshops, taverns, guesthouses and museums that make up Old Gyumri (formerly known as Alexandropl).

1/2300/giumri_sign_8.jpg

Gorki Street to Square

Ghorghanian Street: Gorki Street to Square

Turn Left at next crossing, on Gorki (Bebutovskaya – 16th) Street, and  look for archway on right side.

26. Right: archway/courtyard, 1878.  Over the archway you can see two wonderful carvings flanking the top of the arch.  One is a copy of the ancient Armenian tree of Life symbol often found on Armenian khachkars and the other of a lion.  The old courtyard within is deteriorated but had a magnificent underpinning of finely hewn black tufa arches to support the central bridge that connects the dwellings.  The yard serves several families and a bakery, but in its day the building was a “profit house”, where some areas were rented out. 

The courtyard was also a location for one of Armenia's most beloved films, “Tango of Our Childhood”, starring Mher (“Frunze”) Mkrchian, whose home-museum is on this tour.

27. Right: Dwelling, 1870.  The large black tufa building has a courtyard in back.  The huge green gate is original to the house and shows the Alexandropol love for ostentatious display.

28. Opposite: Treaty House, 1870.  Currently used as the Dashnak political party headquarters, this grand building was originally the Turkish Consulate, boasting a rival front gate to the house opposite.  Go into the yard if the gate is open to view the inside porch and yard (partially preserved).

29. Left: Dwelling, 1876.  White joints were fashionable in the 1870s, as were red and black tufa from 1860-1880.  Thereafter both began to disappear.  This is a fine example of the 1870s style, along with the large windows and arched entry.  Look at the window above the main entry arch; there once was a set of French Doors and a wooden balcony.

30. Right & Left: Dwellings, 1880-1900s.  Built after the 1870s so buildings began to be built with no white joints as with #29.  The buildings are a mixture of styles, including multicolored tufa, black tufa and varying window and doors styles.  The metal balconies are 20th century; the style in Alexandropol was to build self-contained wooden balconies with no outside staircases.

Continue to Gai Street, turn Left to the next street.

The text for this walking tour was edited by the Kumaiyri Preserve-Museum.

 


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts