Old Gyumri Tour

Visit Kumayri museum, historic houses, workshops, taverns, guesthouses and museums that make up Old Gyumri (formerly known as Alexandropl).

1/2343/giumri_plan_20.jpg

Jivani Street

80. Left: Yuzbashian Speculative House, 19th-20th centuries. The large house is situated on Ajemian, Tumanian and Jivani streets. The courtyard is open, half of the building destroyed in the 1988 earthquake. This building was a speculative house, built as an investment to earn income from rents.  The building consists of two parts, the first (speculative) constructed in the 1880s, the second part (Yuzbashian family) constructed at the turn of the 20th century.

The façades are very interesting especially that on Ajemian Street. The frames on the windows on Ajemian Street are decorated with festoons (carved garlands); the courtyard fences decorated with stone figures that look like jars.  The top of the façade is decorated with pointed tongue-shaped elements all pointing in the same direction (calf's tongue molding). Above the entrance from Jivani Street you can find the commemorative plate.  The numbers on the plate show the construction month, day and year: May 7, 1880.

Proceed down Jivani Street (south).

81. Right: Atrpet House, 1905. The two story house. The author Atrpet (Sargis Muboyajian) lived in this house. He was born February 1, 1860 in Kars. Atrpet was the author of stories, novels, novelettes and historical studies but is most famous for his story “Tezhvezhik”, a tale about a poor man who, unable to afford meat for his family and being given a gift of liver by a rich neighbor he meets at the butcher shop—rues the day he accepted the gift because he is constantly pointed out in public by the donor as the one who received his gift and asked to show his gratitude.  Unable to take the shame of constantly being pointed to and humiliated in public, he finally goes ,mad, buying a piece of liver and, throwing it at the rich man, begs him to stop tormenting him about his gift. 

This building is constructed of black polished tufa, with an interesting round window above the main entrance. On the top of the façade is a brace molding.

Turn around and proceed up Jivani Street (north).

82. Right: Mkrtich Armen House, 1880's.  The house is made of red and black polished tufa and belonged to a popular Armenian writer, who was born and lived in the house from 1906-1925.

The façade is decorated not only with red and black tufa but also with convex molding. The arch for the main entrance is decorated with an eight-pointed star , with an Armenian sun symbol in the center. Above is a pomegranate carving.

Continue up Jivani Street (north), turn left on Cheraz Street, then right on Ajemian Street.

The text for this walking tour was edited by the Kumaiyri Preserve-Museum.


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts