Talin - Katoghike Church

The main (eastern) altar is flanked by two annexes on the north and south, the upper stories of which were used as as caches. On the outside the church is highly decorated with carvings influenced by those of Zvartnots Cathedral.

1/2368/talin_katoghike.jpg

Talin - Katoghike Church

There are no historical records about the construction of the church.  Kamsarakan princes who reigned Shirak district are believed to have been responsible for it.

Katoghike (36.7m x 26.7m) is a domed basilica built from a combination of polished red and black tufa. From the east, north and south it has three apses with polyhedral exterior.

The main (eastern) altar is flanked by two annexes on the north and south, the upper stories of which were used as as caches. On the outside the church is highly decorated with carvings influenced by those of Zvartnots Cathedral.

Color was added to some of the carvings to convey additional expressiveness to the architectural details. Outstanding is the western façade which is believed to have boasted winged crosses or statues on the column capitals embedded into the two niches.

The facades of the church have inscriptions dated to 774 and 1041. Frescoes covered the interior walls, of which a few fragments survived. 

The dome along with the south-western part of the church was destroyed during the 1840 earthquake (occurred on July 4).  The carved fragments and numerous other stones of Katoghike were used during the 1866 construction of St. Astvatsatsin church at Talin.

The church was partially renovated in 1947 and in 1959. In 1970-1974 the drum of the dome was reconstructed, the roof was renovated; the excavations uncovered the foundations of a 5th c. single-nave church located about 5 meters away from the northern apse of Katoghike. 

 

 


0 reviews from our community

Very Poor
Poor
Average
Good
Excellent
00000
0

Be the first to write a review

  •  

    Working period/season Year around

  •  

    How to reach Turning from the main road toward Talin, the 2nd or 3rd right turn leads to a large cemetery in which are the impressive remains of an important cathedral church* very similar to the 7th c. church at Aruch. Nearby is a smaller S. Astvatsatsin church․

Download our app

General sponsors

Armenia

USAID

Implementation of the BSSRC project in Armenia and development of the BSSRC web portal and mobile applications were co-funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Enterprise Development and Market Competitiveness (EDMC) project. The contents of the web portal and mobile applications are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.

The Honorary Consul for Italy in Gyumri

ARMINCO

Armenian Travel Bureau

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Login using social accounts